Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lesson Planning Is Harder Than I Remembered

Today I pulled another late-rise, and got out of bed around 11:30am. I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow when I have to wake up early again... but we'll tackle that when the time is right.

I had a pretty uneventful day today; once I got up I meandered around the apartment... I think I did somoe dishes... made lunch... and then had to work on lesson plans.

I struggled with this a lot today, and I'm not sure why. I've taught public speaking before, but coming up with what to teach was really difficult! I have a suspicion that part of the difficulty had to do with my not being busy or overwhelmed yet. This was the only job I had to get done today, and I had a lot of time to do it, so I thought a little too hard about it. I think when I'm busier, and have a more intimidating to-do list, my brain works in hyperdrive, and I'm just super efficient.

At least I freakin' hope so... or this year is going to suck like WOAH.

I did two lesson plans today; one for the first day of class (which I hate) and one for the day we teach Informative Speaking (which I like). Everyone in my cohort was assigned a day to do lesson plans, and tomorrow afternoon we each present part of our lesson plan and then share notes, so in theory we'll all have the first third of the semester all planned out before school even starts. I think this is a WONDERFUL idea, because it gives me some wiggle room once classes start. It's a lot easier to make minor modifications to an already-made lesson plan than it is to start from scratch, so a lot of work will be done for me after tomorrow. I can definitely live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment