***
So today was relatively uneventful until this evening. I spent a little bit of time tidying up the apartment, watching some more episodes of Vampire Diaries (I have to fit it in now while I still have the time!), and getting ready for my DATE. :) Yup. You read correctly. I had a date tonight.
Before you get all excited for me, let me preface this by saying it was just a little mediocre.
So I met this guy... we'll call him Mike... online. I'm not going to say I knew it was going to be a flop before we met tonight, but I kinda had this feeling like it wasn't going to be the best social excursion of my life. And I was right. Chalk it up to intuition.
Anywho... so we meet outside my office on campus - which I felt was a little weird, but it was a central location so I guess it worked - and then went to dinner at some place called Casa Nueva. It's this neat little Mexican restaurant, but what's so cool about it is that it's a co-op, meaning everyone who works there has a chance to be a partial owner of the restaurant. I don't remember ever being at a place like that and being conscious of that fact, so this was kinda neat. Anyways, we order a couple drinks (we had a 30 minute wait before being seated), get dinner, and just talk. And the talking wasn't even bad... he just seemed to be the LEAST interested in getting to know me! :\ And I'm a lot of fun to get to know!
This is where I feel like my training in Communication and Forensics has spoiled me (or just increased my expectations). I will be the first to admit that I'm an introvert by nature, but over the past few years I've worked really hard to push myself out of my bubble and be a bigger personality. And I will give it a solid try, always... until you give me nothing to work with. This guy just didn't give me anything to work with. I learned all about his weird falling outs with past friends, all the drama that caused said falling outs, the weird history with his abusive biological father and his husband-hopping mother, and I even met a friend of his who I knew nothing about, other than that I'd supposedly love him (which I cannot speak to). I mean, the guy didn't ask me anything about myself, and offered little about him when I asked... so the whole information-seeking thing didn't really happen.
In addition to the weird interpersonal funk we had going on, I sensed very little chemistry between the two of us romantically (and by that I mean physically and emotionally). I think a big part of this had to do with his inability to maintain eye contact with me - which is a HUGE turnoff for me - and the fact that he didn't compliment me at all except to feel like he could get touchy with me after he'd had a few. Now, anyone who knows me knows I'm not much of a physical person, especially not right from the get-go. I refuse to separate emotional intimacy from physical closeness because it feels weird to me (I have no issue with other people separating the two, I just don't), so this Mike guy super violated my space bubbles without having earned the right to do so.
Thank the goddess one of my fellow classmates showed up to save the night. Jen (who's quickly becoming one of my favorite people in the world) showed up early to Court Street (where most of the bars are) because our cohort was going to meet up for a few drinks tonight. Well, no one else showed up, and Jen was friendless, so I decided it would be a lot of fun to have her tag along with us. It saved me from an awkward date that had no apparent end in sight, and I got to know her a little better. Needless to say, we had a ton of fun together and she totally saved my night.
Now... all I need is a cute, smart, driven, ambitious, and caring boy to find me and get me to fall in like with him. Any takers? :P Not sure I'll have the time to search for this guy once things start getting chaotic... so this whole relationship thing might be on hiatus for a few months.
Ugh.
Ugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment