Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sometimes A Lot Of Good Information Can Hurt You

I swear one of these days I'll get into a routine where I write about the day at the end of that day. As it stands... here is another retroactive post about what happened yesterday.

***

Nothing really new to report today. Orientation was what it was. I talked to my mom on the phone today about how all the panels we have coming in to talk to us during orientation have kind of shaken my confidence in teaching Public Speaking. I'm kind of over it now... after hashing it out I'm in a good zen place. But here was my thought process:

I taught Public Speaking for two semesters, which by no means makes me an expert... but all the panels we've had during orientation kind of bombarded me with ideas. Of course, since I assume that everyone presenting has more teaching experience than I do, I just automatically deduce that their ideas are better than what I've done, and I start to second-guess my own experiences. It took me a little moment of self-reflection (I think we call it reflexivity when we want to be smart about it) to realize that all the great ideas I've been presented with don't negate the awesomeness of my own ideas.

I know... it's not rocket science. But we're all our own worst critic, right? I just had to work through some things.

In other news, I went to the grocery store (we have a Kroger) for the first time since moving here. I thought it was odd that when I walked into the store, it seemed... darker than I would have expected. At first I assumed this was some kind of weird hippie thing related to conserving energy and whatnot (apparently Athens has a lot of hippies), but it wasn't until I reached the frozen food section and saw the yellow crime-scene caution tape roped through the freezer handles that I realized there must have been some kind of weird power outage. I didn't think much of it, since Athens was hit with a pretty bad power outage during the freak storms this summer, but I had to admit that I found it incredibly hilarious when they announced over the intercom that theyr rotisserie chickens were now 1/2 off. :) Capitalism at its finest: our chicken might not be warm anymore, but we'll only charge you half the cost to make sure we still get money for it!

I can only imagine what I'll see in 4 more years. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment